Our integrated energy industry client (prominent in the Upstream Oil and Gas industry) commissioned a 30,000 BPD Steam Assisted Gravity Drainage (SAGD) production facility and selected Capstone to implement the Data Historian and Visualization software. Operations personnel needed the capability to view granular data from plant and field operations in near real-time. A flexible, powerful visualization tool was needed to unlock the data for troubleshooting and process monitoring. This client also required automated data integration and data validation in order to enable efficient operations.
Capstone implemented the Dataparc Historian and Parcview visualization software along with several custom applications that resulted in a sophisticated, integrated solution used to operate the facility. Dataparc was configured to capture close to ~20,000 data streams and to provide resilient, near real-time replication to the head office location.
Capstone developed several custom applications using the latest .NET technologies to meet several additional requirements:
- Automated Data Validation – This application automatically captured & validated key plant data using rules defined by the user in the system. Anomalies were flagged by the system and relevant personal were notified to take corrective action.
- Data Validation webpage – An easy to use ASP .NET application was designed and built to allow users to edit data and configure validation rules.
- Integration with Production Accounting – Scheduled processes were developed that automatically uploaded production accounting data into the enterprise system.
- Automated well test data capture – A custom C# .NET application was developed to capture real time well test data as it was captured in field devices.
- Enterprise Integration – Custom interfaces with other enterprise applications allowed for data synchronization and business process automation.
Our client was able to rapidly commission the facility and ramp up production to initial target levels due in large part to the capabilities provided to them by the Historian and Visualization tools that were implemented. The solution provided allowed operations and engineering personal to perform troubleshooting, monitoring, and root cause identification. In the years since the facility was commissioned we have continued to work with the client to incrementally build the architecture and automate processes. The architecture has scaled up to support facility expansions and the open architecture has allowed for additional integration and business process optimization.